Facebook Messenger, a widely used communication app, is known for its distinct “ding” sound for incoming messages. This notification sound, typically named “new_message” on Android devices, is a hallmark of the app, distinguishing it from other messaging platforms. However, there is an issue where Facebook Messenger might unexpectedly switches from its unique “ding” sound to a different one, often the phone’s default SMS or message notification sound.
This change can be confusing and may disrupt the user’s familiarity with their notification sounds. The cause of this issue is often linked to a global notification sound setting applied across all apps, overriding Messenger’s default sound. This article will look into the specifics of why this issue occurs and provide detailed solutions to restore Facebook Messenger’s default notification sound.
Checking if Facebook Messenger is still using its default notification sound
To confirm if the Facebook Messenger notification sound has indeed been altered, you need to check the app’s settings. This can be done by accessing the App info of Facebook Messenger. Here’s how to navigate to the relevant section:
- Open your device’s Settings: This is usually represented by a gear icon on your home screen or app drawer.
- Select “Apps” or “Applications”: This will list all the apps installed on your device.
- Find and select “Messenger”: Scroll through the list of apps until you find Facebook Messenger. Alternatively, you can simply long-hold the Messenger icon and select “App info”.
- Go to “Notifications”: This section allows you to view and modify how Messenger notifies you of new messages or activities.
- Check the Notification Sound: If the sound is set to something other than “new_message”, then it’s clear that Messenger is using a different notification sound.
By following these steps, you can determine if the default Messenger sound has been replaced. This is an essential step before proceeding to the solution, ensuring that the issue is not due to some other factor.
Solution 1: Manually resetting the notification sound
If you have identified that the notification sound for Facebook Messenger has changed, the first solution is to manually reset it to the default “new_message” sound. Here’s how you can do it:
- Access the Notification settings in Messenger App Info: Follow the steps previously outlined to navigate to the “Notifications” section in the Messenger app info.
- Select the message notifications: In the notification settings, you will find different categories like “Chats”, “Calls”, “Reminders”, “Stories”, etc. Select the category for which you want to change the sound (usually “Chats”).
- Change the notification sound: There will be an option for “Sound”. Tap on it, and a list of available notification sounds will appear. Scroll through and select “new_message” or the desired Messenger default sound.
- Save the changes: After selecting the “new_message” sound, ensure you save the changes if required.
By manually adjusting the notification sound, you are overriding any global sound settings that might have affected Facebook Messenger. This solution is effective but requires a few steps to navigate through the settings. However, if you can’t find the “new_message” from the list of notification sounds available on your Android phone, you may need to reinstall the app.
Related resource: How to Find Someone By a Picture on Facebook
Solution 2: Reinstalling Facebook Messenger
Another straightforward solution to reset the notification sound back to its default is by uninstalling and then reinstalling Facebook Messenger. This process effectively resets all the app settings, including the notification sound, to their original state. Here’s how to do it:
- Uninstall Facebook Messenger:
- Find the Messenger App: Locate the Facebook Messenger app icon on your home screen or app drawer.
- Long-Press the App Icon: Depending on your device, you may need to long-press the app icon to bring up the options menu.
- Select “Uninstall”: Choose the option to uninstall or remove the app. Confirm if prompted.
- Reinstall the app:
- Open the Google Play Store or Apple App Store: Access the app store relevant to your device.
- Search for “Facebook Messenger”: Use the search bar to find the app.
- Download and Install Messenger: Select the official Facebook Messenger app from the search results and install it.
- Set up Messenger:
- After reinstalling, open Messenger and log in with your credentials.
- The app should now use the default “new_message” sound for notifications.
This method is particularly useful if the manual sound setting change is not effective, or if you prefer a quicker, more straightforward approach. It ensures that all settings are reset to default, but keep in mind that it might also reset other personalized settings within the app.
While the solutions mentioned can effectively resolve the issue of the changed notification sound in Facebook Messenger, there are additional considerations and tips that can enhance your overall experience:
- Check system-wide notification settings: Sometimes, the overall system settings can override individual app settings. Ensure that your device’s system settings are not configured to enforce a particular notification sound for all apps.
- Mind the “Do Not Disturb” mode: If your device is in Do Not Disturb mode, notification sounds might not play as expected. Ensure this mode is turned off if you wish to hear notifications.
In conclusion, the issue of Facebook Messenger defaulting to an unintended notification sound can typically be resolved through two primary methods: manually resetting the notification sound in the app’s settings or reinstalling the app, with reinstalling being a quicker solution.
Understanding the intricacies of your device’s notification settings is crucial in maintaining the desired sounds on your phone. Regularly updating your apps and being aware of your device’s overall settings are key practices in preventing similar issues in the future.