Windows 10 is designed to encourage its users to use a Microsoft account to sign in to it for best experience. However, logging into Windows 10 using a Microsoft account is not entirely compulsory. You can, in fact, use a local account instead for your Windows 10 login.
This tutorial will show you how to remove your unwanted Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 laptop or desktop PC, so that you can sign in with a local account or another Microsoft account.
Before we begin, you need to know that all Windows 10 computers require at least one user account, be it a local account or a Microsoft account, for users to log into them. So, before you can remove the existing unwanted Microsoft account from your Windows 10 computer, you will need to create either a local account or a new Microsoft account, so that you can sign into it to remove the Microsoft account you no longer need.
So, the correct sequence of removing a Microsoft account is:
- First, we need to create a local account or a new Microsoft account.
- Next, we sign in to Windows 10 with the newly created local or Microsoft account.
- Only then we can proceed to remove the unwanted Microsoft account.
This tutorial will be divided into three parts:
How to remove Microsoft account from Windows 10
If you haven’t already created a local account or a Microsoft account ready to be used to sign in to your PC, refer to the second part of this tutorial to do so. You will need a new user account before you can remove the old Microsoft Account you no longer want. Come back here after you’ve done so.
If you already have a local account created or a different Microsoft account ready to be signed into your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps below to remove the Microsoft Account you no longer need from Windows 10.
- First of all, you will have to sign in to Windows 10 with your newly created local account or another Microsoft account that you wish to use.
- Next, in the start menu, search and open netplwiz.
- In the user accounts window, select the Microsoft account you wish to remove, then click on the Remove button when while it’s highlighted.
- When a warning window pops up that says “the Microsoft account will no longer be allowed to use this computer”, click Yes to confirm the removal.
That’s it! You’ve successfully removed the unwanted Microsoft account from Windows 10. You can now continue using your local account or your new Microsoft account to login to your Windows 10 computer.
How to create a local account on Windows 10
To create a local user account with or without password, follow the steps below.
- On the start menu, search and open netplwiz.
- In the user accounts control panel window, click on the Add button.
- When asked “How will this person sign in”, click on the “Sign in without a Microsoft account” link at the bottom of the window.
- On the next screen, click on Local account.
- Then, when asked to input your new username and password, you have two choices here.
- If you don’t want any password for your local account, leave the password fields empty and click Next.
- If you want to set up a password for your local account, just fill all the fields and then click Next.
- Click Finish and your new local account will then be created and shown on the list of user accounts.
Now that you’ve successfully created your new local account, you can then go back to the first part of this tutorial to proceed removing the unwanted Microsoft account from your Windows 10 PC.
If you want to change your local account to administrator, refer to this guide: How to create a local admin account without password on Windows 10.
How to sign into Windows 10 with another Microsoft account
To sign into Windows 10 with another different Microsoft account, follow the steps below.
- Go to start menu. Search and open netplwiz.
- In the user accounts window, click on Add.
- Now, you have two choices here:
- If you already have an existing Microsoft account (@outlook.com or @hotmail.com), enter your account’s email address and then click Next. Then, click Finish to add the Microsoft account to list of users accounts.
- If you want to sign up for a new Microsoft account instead, click on the “Sign Up for a new email address” link.
- Follow on-screen instruction to finish setting up or creating your new Microsoft account.
After you’ve completed the steps above, the newly entered account will then show up on the list of user accounts, which you can use to sign into your Windows 10 afterward.
You can now go back to the first part of this tutorial to proceed removing the unwanted Microsoft account from Windows 10.